Saturday, April 19, 2008

Theanine Is Makin' Out With Caffeine

On the side of P.G. Tips tea boxes it boasts one of its selling points as being "your natural source of Theanine." That's fantastic... except... what the hell is Theanine? Is this a cultural mistranslation between the U.K. and the U.S. or is Theanine an actual nutrient or vitamin of some sort that the F.D.A. has cleverly suppressed knowledge of from my theanine-starved cells? Or... was I just not paying attention during health class in high school because I ditched fourth period to hang out with cute anarchists and listen to Morrissey. I don't know... but you know who does...

My ghetto sister, Wikipedia.
Let's go ring her up and see what she has to say...

"Theanine is an amino acid commonly found in tea (infusions of Camellia sinensis). Theanine is related to glutamine, and can cross the blood-brain barrier.[1] Because it can enter the brain, theanine has psychoactive properties.[2] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress[3], may produce feelings of relaxation[4] and improves cognition and mood when taken in combination with caffeine."

Oh, that sounds nice. I bet Judita already knew that because she's doing a Master's in Nutrition... but guess what? She's in Costa Rica on vacation so instead you get me Wikipedia-ing like a ninja. Did you like how I just turned Wikipedia into a verb? That's the hard core investigative journalism you'll find here at the Anglo Files. I expect the NME to ring me up any moment and offer me a job.

Your natural source of Theanine,

Tatiana

No comments: