Monday, March 1, 2010

Odds and Ends, Apples and Pears

So, the Mayor of London is now following me on Twitter... which leads me to think I should update this.

Here's the latest Anglophone things that have made my heart go swoooon for the Union Jack.

a.) Alan Rickman as the voice of the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland (which I saw today!). He has the creepiest voice ever, but is still hot, even as a bug. I'm sure the same could be said for Jeremy Irons. You may go weak for Johnny Depp (with his ever-so-inconsistent Mad Hatter accent, "Is it Scottish? Is it a lisp?") but I'll take Rickman, thanks.

b) Primal Scream are playing Screamadelica in its entirety in the UK. This is awesome, minus the part where I'm not going to be there. Lame. I think the British Consulate need to fund a cultural exchange whereby talented American journalists can document their country's fine musical offerings. Thanks.

c.) Alexander McQueen... oh man... I'm still in shock. I wrote a post on my personal blog about what his fashion meant to me. I don't even own any of it... but he had the ability to make you dream. I love the concept of aspirational fashion (paging Grace Coddington). McQueen was a designer for the elite but also for those blue collar girls poring over fashion magazines at home, dreaming that one day, that crazy amazing dress could be theirs. The dresses of my dreams were always made by McQueen. - TS


No comments: